Re: Another little bug in pkg-order

Hi,

	The only dependency checks made by the library are the ones
 explicitly requested; so I think in this case that is the set of
 packages to be installed.

	I think maybe you should look at creating the dependencies and
 checking them for the installed packages as well (give the same list
 twice as arguments). I hope this won't make things too slow. Maybe
 keep tags of whether the installed or the new list is changed, and
 recheck as needed?

	In the Deity code I'm starting to work on We are considering
 ordering all interactions with dpkg; that means purges and removes as
 well. For the most part we put the removes first in the list (even if
 it fails, the package is marked for removal; and shall be removed
 when the conflicting package is tried to be installed).

	The problem I see is if there is an old package A, superceded
 by a new package B, and a new package C conflicts with A and not
 B. In this case, B should be installed ahaead of C, but there is no
 explicit relationship between B and C. Hmmm. This requires thought.

	manoj
>>"Roman" == Roman Hodek <rnhodek@faui22c.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

Roman> Hi Manoj!

>> I've fixed this (using your patch), and with a packaging fix it is
>> now on master.

Roman> Thanks!

>> looking forward to the new dftp ;-)

Roman> I still have some little problems to solve (but all the basics
Roman> work fine now!):

Roman> - I let dftp remove xlib6-dev (conflict with xlib6g-dev), but
Roman> the dependency checking failed to see that another installed
Roman> package (xpm4.7-dev or so) depended on xlib6-dev.

Roman> Are dependencies of installed packages checked at all? Has this
Roman> something to do with the 'Consistent' parameter? (Sorry for my
Roman> ignorance, haven't looked at it yet...)

Roman> - The installation order must be based on conflicts,
Roman> too. (Currently I order for Pre-Depends and Depends). In the
Roman> installation run I had big problems because new libc6-based
Roman> packages conflict with earlier versions of libc5-based
Roman> packages, but the new libc5-versions were installed in a later
Roman> run...

--
 He who has no desires in this world or the next, without longings,
 freed! - that is what I call a brahmin. 410