Re: MD5 sums

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:16:21PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Michael Sobolev wrote:
>
> > Hmm...  Let me emphasis the word `downloaded'  :)
>
> If you use --print-uris APT will show the expected MD5's of the files it
> downloads and you can compare them. But really, if you don't trust your
> disk drive then who is to say that
>   a) Unpacking packages won't unpack crap anyhow
>   b) The contents won't change from the time apt checks it to when it
>      calls dpkg
I see the point. :) JFYI, the problem I had was a BIOS misconfiguration (my
battery got dead, I replaced it, but since the last time I had configured my
computer had been two years ago, I did not put the correct settings).

> If your disk had past problems then I suggest
>   mv /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/
>
> Then 'redownload' them - APT will check the MD5's and deal with bad ones
> properly - you might have to 'redownload' twice however.
OK.  Would not be a good idea to add a command (like check-files), which would
scan the /var/cache/apt/archives directory and check the md5 sums?  I believe
that one of the point of apt-get is to allow to keep a long term archive of
downloaded packages (autoclean command makes me think so)...

Thanks,

--
Mike