Buster upgrade introduces power manager DBus errors

Please help me interpret some error messages in the xfce4-power-manager daemon log. I collected these logs because, when I upgraded from Debian 9 stretch to Debian 10 buster, the screen backlight adjustment on my Panasonic CF-19 laptop no longer works, and the various sleep modes have become erratic.

Among other things, I tried collecting the logs when the power manager daemon restarts:
# xfce4-power-manager -q
# xfce4-power-manager --nodaemon --debug
The logs in stretch and buster look very similar, however there are three new warning and one critical message in the log under buster.

The three new warnings are at the very beginning of the log:
** (xfce4-power-manager:1643): WARNING **: 01:14:35.473: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.PowerManagement': no such name ** (xfce4-power-manager:1643): WARNING **: 01:14:35.473: Failed to get name owner: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get owner of name 'org.xfce.PowerManager': no such name (xfce4-power-manager:1643): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: 01:14:35.489: ../../../gobject/gsignal.c:2523: signal 'Changed' is invalid for instance '0x558c1e1d2220' of type 'GDBusProxy'
TRACE[xfpm-main.c:205] xfpm_start(): Starting the power manager

The critical message is in the middle of the startup messages:
(xfce4-power-manager:1643): GLib-CRITICAL **: 01:14:35.512: g_error_free: assertion 'error != NULL' failed

Please tell me what these messages mean and what I should try next to fix this.

Some additional information:

By the screen backlight adjustment no longer working, I mean, after upgrading to buster, neither the laptop's brightness buttons nor the power manager applet in the xfce tray are able to change the brightness. The laptop buttons still do work during an early part of the boot process.

By sleep modes being erratic, I mean the laptop going to sleep and recovering usually works, but occasionally goes to a mode (screen lock versus suspend versus hibernate versus powerdown) other than intended. Of course, powering down when you still have applications open is most frustrating. So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to make this problem reproducible. Have been focusing on the brightness problem since it is reproducible.

I should mention the warnings that occur under both stretch and buster:
(xfce4-power-manager:1643): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 01:14:35.506: could not map keysym 1008ffa8 to keycode ** (xfce4-power-manager:1643): WARNING **: 01:14:35.512: No outputs have backlight property xfce4-power-manager-Message: 01:14:35.543: Set kernel brightness switch to 0 (xfce4-power-manager:1643): xfce4-power-manager-WARNING **: 01:14:35.547: Failed to get keyboard max brightness level : GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface “org.freedesktop.UPower.KbdBacklight” on object at path /org/freedesktop/UPower/KbdBacklight

Which I interpret the first message to mean Xfce's notion of the laptop's key map is not quite right.

The others I think mean power manager first tries to control the backlight via an X server property. When that fails, it tries UPower. When that fails, it falls back to a method that provides no feedback whether it works or not. Whatever that method is, it works under stretch but not buster. Does this interpretation sound reasonable? Anyhow, it works fine under stretch despite these warnings. Would like to understand them, but if you can help me understand the warnings from buster, or for that matter, getting backlight and sleep working without understanding the warnings, that would be most appreciated. I can send the full logs, if that would be helpful.