Re: Xfconf's new gsettings backend

On Wed, 2018-10-24 at 01:01 -0400, Unit 193 wrote:
> > - it seems that the gsettings backend is not used by default, at least for
> > now; any idea if it'll be mandatory in the future?
>
> I'd hope that it'd be on by default in 4.14, but this I cannot say for sure.  I
> would expect it wouldn't be required, since there's a compile time option to
> disable it.

It'd be interesting to know that in order to make a decision whether to enable
it or not.

> > - when enabled, that means all gsettings can be stored through xfconf, using
> > whatever xfconf storage backend is (currently .xml files in
> > .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml), is that right?
>
> This is correct, right now gsettings uses dconf as a backend, so you end up with
> at least two daemons.

But when enabled in xfconf, does xfconf handle *all* gsettings setting, and
nothing ends up in dconf?

> > - when starting to provide a gsettings backend, how will interactions with
> > other backend be handled? Can two backends run concurrently? Is there some
> > kind of migration from one backend to another?
>
> As Xfconf is not enabled by default right now and you must use
> GSETTINGS_BACKEND=xfconf, I am fairly confident that gsettins will only push to
> one backend.  As they are backends, there isn't really any migration.

I might have been unclear, sorry. When gsettings backend is enabled in xfconf
(whether with the current env var, or in the future if it's enabled by
default), what happens if two gsettings backends are installed/enabled (xfconf
and dconf)? Do they fight? Should we conflict against other gsettings backend?
If so, how is the migration handled?

> > In any case, those questions are really meaningful when we start enabling it
> > by default, which is not the case right now. If the only drawback to splitting
> > the backend to a different package is that it has to go through NEW, then no
> > issue for me.
>
> That would be one reason to ship the backend in another package once xfconf's
> backend is enabled by default, the lack of migration and need to reset some
> configuration values.

Does this mean we'll lose any gsettings parameter stored in dconf? I don't
think it's acceptable.

Regards,
- --
Yves-Alexis