[Pkg-xfce-devel] xfce4-mpc-plugin buffer overflows

On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 11:33:37PM +0000, Simon Huggins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had a user in Debian who was having problems with the
> xfce4-mpc-plugin and a long password.  It turned out that passwords
> longer than about 30 characters were causing buffer overflows.
>
> I looked into it and found a few problems.  There are lots of sprintfs
> into buffers with strings which contain untrusted input.
>
> I've fixed some in the attached patch against 0.3.3 although I want it
> to be reviewed at some point.
>
> I also couldn't see a nice way to return an error message back to the
> user and I'm not really a GTK coder in anyway :)
>
> You may well choose to fix these issues in a different way in which case
> we'd love to see the patch to get it into Debian.
>
> Anyway, if you have some time to review the patch it'd be great.

Patch is great, i always wanted to get back on it and fix this ugly
code. There are probably others in simple-libmpd.c... Atm, i have
no internet connection, and my svn trees are in boxes, so i cant
commit it/integrate it now... hopefully in some weeks. I just have to
remember i have to do it.

Thanks a lot.

Landry