[Pkg-xfce-devel] fam & gamin support in thunar

Hi people.

Thunar Debian package is currently built against gamin, and depends on
this package, to provide file monitoring. But gnome debian team decided
to orphan this package [0], because gnome-vfs now has inotify support,
so they don't need (on linux) another file monitoring tool.

On a blog post, benny said [1] that he recommended gamin over fam, and I
(we) wanted to know what was its point, now. (and opinions from the
list, too).

We (debian team) currently have some choices:
* do nothing, and hope somebody adopt gamin package or that it doesnt
break
* adopt gamin package and try to keep it working (it seems that it's not
developped anymore upstream), at least for us (don't know the workload)
* switch to fam (we don't really like this because benny recommended
gamin and we don't really like the "system service" thing over the "user
daemon" one

I wanted to ask people about the gamin/fam preference currently. Do you
have any thoughts ? :)

Benny, do you have any plan to add inotify support to thunar-vfs at one
time, or really don't want to include that (linux-specific) thing and
want to keep it separate, using some third-party app ?

Regards.

[0]: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=375226
[1]:
http://xfce-diary.blogspot.com/2005/08/file-alteration-monitoring.html