[Pkg-xfce-devel] svn structure and 4.4 packaging

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 02:37:41PM +0200, Jani Monoses wrote:

> > At the moment we have:
> >
> > desktop/trunk
> > desktop/branches/4.2.1
> > [..]
> > desktop/branches/4.2.3
> > goodies/
> >
> > The problem with this is that not everything in desktop/ now is released
> > by xfce.org (for instance exo, thunar, orage) when they do a 4.2.x
> > release.
> >
> > Also the goodies don't have any branches for a particular version.
> We can keep things in trunk like it is now, but  make this not the
> default work/uploading branch.

Why not? :)

> So what is now done in trunk _and_ part of xfce (not gooodies, exo,
> thunar) let's move over to branches/4.2.3 and do the uploads from
> there until 4.2.4 and so on.

Right, but how does this get merged in to 4.2.4?

At the moment (in theory), we work on trunk, we copy to branches/4.2.3
the first time and then merge to branches/4.2.3 on subsequent releases.

Then when 4.2.4 comes along (or 4.3.99-RC1 or whatever) we update trunk
appropriately and copy to that version.

> Make a new branches/4.3 (or 4.3.2 it wasn't any official version
> AFAIK) and start working there in preparation for when 4.4 beta or RC
> is released. I am willing to do this work. So when they release there
> is little left to do packaging-wise for uploading to
> experimental/dapper.

You're welcome to create /branches/4.3 and use it for experimental
packages.

> > *BUT* what should we do with the goodies?
> > And where to exo/thunar/orage sit?
> We don't have to reorganize everything, just make the current
> situation a bit better for 4.3 work. Orage/thunar seem to work with
> 4.2 and 4.4 so they are ok in trunk IMHO.

Right but as I explained, they /don't/ sit in /branches/4.2.3 at the
moment because upstream doesn't release them all at once under one
version tag.  Likewise the goodies.

> > This is due by the 19th this month?  i.e. Thursday?  I don't think we
> > are able to put this in Debian that fast.
> I don't know anything about planned upstream release dates.

No, this is the date of the Dapper freeze:
	http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/01/msg00008.html
and	https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperReleaseSchedule

Simon.

--
* "Mais bouilli avec de la sauce ? la menthe, Ast?rix !  Pauvre   *
| b?te !" - Ob?lix - Ast?rix chez les Bretons.                   |