[Git][xorg-team/app/xterm][debian-unstable] 3 commits: Prefer luit over x11-utils in Recommends

Title: GitLab

Sven Joachim pushed to branch debian-unstable at X Strike Force / app / xterm

Commits:

4 changed files:

Changes:

  • debian/changelog
    ... ... @@ -3,6 +3,9 @@ xterm (371-1) UNRELEASED; urgency=medium
    3 3
       * New upstream release.

    4 4
         - Fix errata in manual page (Closes: #988221).

    5 5
       * Drop patch from 370-2, applied upstream.

    6
    +  * Prefer luit over x11-utils in Recommends (Closes: #904572).

    7
    +  * Update copy of XTerm FAQ to revision 1.407 (dated 2021/12/20).

    8
    +  * Update years in debian/copyright.

    6 9

    7 10
      -- Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de>  Fri, 25 Feb 2022 19:06:55 +0100

    8 11

  • debian/control
    ... ... @@ -122,7 +122,7 @@ Depends:
    122 122
      xbitmaps,

    123 123
      ${shlibs:Depends},

    124 124
      ${misc:Depends},

    125
    -Recommends: x11-utils

    125
    +Recommends: luit | x11-utils (<< 7.7+6~)

    126 126
     Suggests: xfonts-cyrillic

    127 127
     Provides: x-terminal-emulator

    128 128

    134 134
      This package provides four commands: xterm, which is the traditional

    135 135
      terminal emulator; uxterm, which is a wrapper around xterm that is

    136 136
      intelligent about locale settings (especially those which use the UTF-8

    137
    - character encoding), but which requires the luit program from the x11-utils

    137
    + character encoding), but which requires the luit program from the luit

    138 138
      package; koi8rxterm, a wrapper similar to uxterm for locales that use the

    139 139
      KOI8-R character set; and lxterm, a simple wrapper that chooses which of the

    140 140
      previous commands to execute based on the user's locale settings.

  • debian/copyright
    ... ... @@ -4,7 +4,7 @@ This package was debianized by first time by David Martinez Moreno
    4 4

    5 5
     Upstream sources: http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.html

    6 6

    7
    -Copyright 1997-2021 by Thomas E. Dickey

    7
    +Copyright 1997-2022 by Thomas E. Dickey

    8 8
     Copyright 1999-2000 by Steve Wall

    9 9
     Copyright 2013,2014 by Ross Combs

    10 10

  • debian/local/xterm.faq.html
    ... ... @@ -19,7 +19,7 @@
    19 19
      * ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF   *

    20 20
      * OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.            *

    21 21

    22
    -  $XTermId: xterm.faq.html,v 1.402 2021/09/05 19:50:30 tom Exp $

    22
    +  $XTermId: xterm.faq.html,v 1.407 2021/12/20 23:57:10 tom Exp $

    23 23
       -->

    24 24
     <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

    25 25

    ... ... @@ -769,17 +769,31 @@
    769 769
         control.</li>

    770 770
       </ol>

    771 771

    772
    -  <p>The control sequences document lists a few controls which

    773
    -  xterm does not (completely) implement, e.g.,</p>

    772

    773
    +  document lists a few controls which xterm does not (completely)

    774
    +  implement, e.g.,</p>

    774 775

    775 776
       <ul>

    776
    -    <li>key-repeat</li>

    777
    +    <li><a href="">

    778
    +    "ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html#h4-Functions-using-CSI-_-ordered-by-the-final-character-lparen-s-rparen:CSI-?-Pm-h:Ps-=-8.1E68">

    779
    +    key-repeat</a></li>

    777 780

    778
    -    <li>enabling LEDs other than scroll-lock</li>

    781
    +    <li><a href="">

    782
    +    "ctlseqs/ctlseqs.html#h4-Functions-using-CSI-_-ordered-by-the-final-character-lparen-s-rparen:CSI-Ps-q.1CB1">

    783
    +    enabling LEDs</a> other than scroll-lock</li>

    779 784
       </ul>

    780 785

    781
    -  <p>None of the other terminal emulators implements those

    782
    -  either.<br></p>

    786
    +  <p>Those are not implemented in xterm because all X applications

    787
    +  share the same keyboard (see <a href="">

    788
    +  "manpage/xterm.html#h2-EMULATIONS">manpage</a>), and <a href="">

    789
    +  "https://www.x.org/releases/current/doc/man/man1/xset.1.xhtml">xset</a>

    790
    +  is the proper tool for changing auto-repeat. The <a href="">

    791
    +  "https://github.com/ThomasDickey/old-xterm/blob/d448c6d7373c3bc3df4c75e815baa1e645462893/charproc.c#L1048">

    792
    +  X10R4</a> xterm did implement key-repeat, but the feature was

    793
    +  removed in <a href="">

    794
    +  "https://github.com/ThomasDickey/old-xterm/blob/6bf1714f13b7811c3e28d186bfc9942d971edd9b/charproc.c#L1048">

    795
    +  X11R1</a>. None of the other terminal emulators implements those

    796
    +  either.</p>

    783 797

    784 798

    785 799
       "Comparing against the control sequences document">

    ... ... @@ -3503,7 +3517,7 @@ keycode 22 = 0xff08
    3503 3517
       "/xterm/xterm.log.html#xterm_271">patch #271</a>), and does not

    3504 3518
       have this problem.</p>

    3505 3519

    3506
    -  <p>As of February 2014, I am able to verify that AIX and HPUX

    3520
    +  <p>As of February 2014, I was able to verify that AIX and HPUX

    3507 3521
       have updated to modern xterm, e.g.,</p>

    3508 3522

    3509 3523
       <ul>

    ... ... @@ -5429,7 +5443,7 @@ Shift &lt;KeyPress&gt; Insert:insert-selection(SELECT, CUT_BUFFER0) \n\
    5429 5443
         &ndash; both by the display and the selection logic.</li>

    5430 5444
       </ul>

    5431 5445

    5432
    -  <p>As of 2010, a few other terminals do implement this feature.

    5446
    +  <p>As of 2010, a few other terminals did implement this feature.

    5433 5447
       But the reason that it's been low-priority is that it's of very

    5434 5448
       limited usefulness when copying between terminal sessions (and

    5435 5449
       for that matter, from other clients).</p>

    ... ... @@ -6257,12 +6271,12 @@ configure --disable-imake --disable-narrowproto
    6257 6271
       <h4><a name="compiz_bugs" id="compiz_bugs">Why is the text in the

    6258 6272
       wrong place?</a></h4>

    6259 6273

    6260
    -  <p>Are you using Ubuntu? This is a frequently-reported problem

    6261
    -  for Ubuntu users. With other systems, it can occur (as of

    6262
    -  September 2012), but is less frequent. But it has been an issue

    6263
    -  with Ubuntu since 2008.</p>

    6274
    +  <p>Are you using Ubuntu? This was a frequently-reported problem

    6275
    +  for Ubuntu users. With other systems, it could occur (as of

    6276
    +  September 2012), but is less frequent. But it was an issue with

    6277
    +  Ubuntu since 2008.</p>

    6264 6278

    6265
    -  <p>There are several related symptoms, e.g.,</p>

    6279
    +  <p>There ware several related symptoms, e.g.,</p>

    6266 6280

    6267 6281
       <ul>

    6268 6282
         <li>text may be the wrong size</li>

    ... ... @@ -6349,34 +6363,37 @@ configure --disable-imake --disable-narrowproto
    6349 6363
         Ubuntu #1007722 - xterm doesn't display all the information</a></li>

    6350 6364
       </ul>

    6351 6365

    6352
    -  <p>Since the problem is not in xterm, all I can do is to help

    6366
    +  <p>Since the problem was not in xterm, all I could do is to help

    6353 6367
       forward those bug-reports to whatever package owns

    6354
    -  <code>compiz</code>. What these have in common is that someone

    6355
    -  has written code which is tested against only a small subset of

    6356
    -  the X protocol.</p>

    6368
    +  <code>compiz</code>. What these had in common is that someone

    6369
    +  wrote code which was tested against only a small subset of the X

    6370
    +  protocol.</p>

    6357 6371

    6358
    -  <p>Looking for solutions (since compiz is not being fixed), it is

    6359
    -  possible to disable compiz. The means for doing this vary with

    6360
    -  time. Aside from pointing to the root cause of the problem, there

    6361
    -  is little advice that is useful.</p>

    6372
    +  <p>Looking for solutions (since compiz was not being fixed), it

    6373
    +  was possible to disable compiz. The means for doing this varied

    6374
    +  with time. Aside from pointing to the root cause of the problem,

    6375
    +  there was little advice that was useful.</p>

    6362 6376

    6363 6377
       <ul>

    6364 6378
         <li>For instance, <a href="">

    6365 6379
         "http://force.subcritical.org/xterm_under_compiz/">this

    6366
    -    comment</a> by Eric Williams suggests that the problem can be

    6367
    -    worked around by setting xterm's <code>borderWidth</code>

    6380
    +    comment</a> by Eric Williams suggested that the problem could

    6381
    +    be worked around by setting xterm's <code>borderWidth</code>

    6368 6382
         resource to zero.</li>

    6369 6383

    6370
    -    <li>other comments suggest turning off the "desktop effects" or

    6371
    -    "animation".</li>

    6384
    +    <li>other comments suggested turning off the "desktop effects"

    6385
    +    or "animation".</li>

    6372 6386

    6373 6387

    6374
    -    can see misbehavior easily in Ubuntu 12.04 using <a href="">

    6388
    +    could see misbehavior easily in Ubuntu 12.04 using <a href="">

    6375 6389
         "/vttest/vttest.html">vttest</a>. However, Ubuntu 12.04

    6376
    -    provides <em>Ubuntu&nbsp;2D</em>, which does not show those

    6377
    -    problems (and is noticeably faster).</li>

    6390
    +    provided <em>Ubuntu&nbsp;2D</em>, which did not show those

    6391
    +    problems (and was noticeably faster).</li>

    6378 6392
       </ul>

    6379 6393

    6394

    6395
    +  shell) has fewer bugs.</p>

    6396
    +

    6380 6397
       <h3 id="my_xdefaults-id"><a name="my_xdefaults" id=

    6381 6398
       "my_xdefaults">Sample .Xdefaults Color-Settings for XTerm</a></h3>

    6382 6399

    ... ... @@ -7124,7 +7141,7 @@ Warning: Actions not found: ignore, scroll-back, scroll-forw
    7124 7141

    7125 7142

    7126 7143

    7127
    -  <p>Regarding documentation, the situation is not as good as

    7144
    +  <p>Regarding documentation, the situation was not as good as

    7128 7145
       reported earlier. The problematic documentation was not even part

    7129 7146
       of the "official" GNOME Terminal, but was an add-on by a Debian

    7130 7147
       developer, adapted from GNOME Terminal's online help. The

    ... ... @@ -7239,7 +7256,7 @@ There are no docs for the gnome-terminal command line options.
    7239 7256

    7240 7257

    7241 7258

    7242
    -  &ldquo;any&rdquo; persists in its <a href="">

    7259
    +  &ldquo;any&rdquo; persisted in its <a href="">

    7243 7260
       "https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnome-terminal">package

    7244 7261
       description</a> in Debian as of 2018:</p>

    7245 7262

    ... ... @@ -8388,9 +8405,8 @@ configure --help
    8388 8405
       compiler warnings. For gcc, that is done with the "gcc-stricter"

    8389 8406
       script which you can find <a href="">

    8390 8407
       "/scripts/readme.html">here</a>. The X libraries have a

    8391
    -  longstanding issue which has been ignored so far (as of

    8392
    -  mid-2012). To work around this (and get useful warnings), I apply

    8393
    -  this patch:</p>

    8408
    +  longstanding issue had been ignored (as of mid-2012). To work

    8409
    +  around this (and get useful warnings), I applied this patch:</p>

    8394 8410

    8395 8411

    8396 8412
         <pre class="code-block">

    ... ... @@ -8428,6 +8444,11 @@ configure --help
    8428 8444
       "http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2010-May/009052.html">mailing

    8429 8445
       list</a>, but as you can see, there was no response.</p>

    8430 8446

    8447
    +  <p>Finally, I spent the requisitve time to integrate the

    8448
    +  change&mdash;and complete the process of transforming the

    8449

    8450
    +  nroff to docbook/xml.</p>

    8451
    +

    8431 8452
       <h2 id="report_bugs-id"><a name="report_bugs" id=

    8432 8453
       "report_bugs">How do I report bugs?</a></h2>

    8433 8454