Re: Maintaining older xorg driver packages by Debian Ports

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> After some xorg driver packages were removed from the archive in #955603 [1]
> that we still need for Debian Ports, I was wondering whether it's okay when
> I take over maintainership and upload the packages to unstable as we need
> them.
>
> I understand that the timing is a bit unfortunate, but I wasn't aware of the
> removal bug otherwise, I would have asked for some of the drivers to stay.
>
> But I can just maintain the driver packages myself if that's ok?
>
> Thanks,
> Adrian
>
>> [1] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=955603

but this is terrible news... also the comments seen meaningless: "it's
not like the driver hasgained any new functionality."

Well.. of course no new stuff, but it works. It would be nice to improve
them, but perhaps right now nobody had the joy to hack them.

Granted, the dirvers could use some cleanup, but several do work, with
some limitations.

- neomagic works "perfect"
- savage is strange, it has glitches on Debian&Devuan, but works perfect
in NetBSD (tested on different laptops though ThinkPad vs Portege)
- mach64 works as of today and r128 even better!

The others I can't say, did not use them personally.

This is gratuitously declaring death to several ThinkPads, Toshipa
Porteges,  iBooks and PowerBooks which are working as I am typing now.

Happy hacking ond classic laptops (don't you love good keyboards and 4:3
screens?)

Riccardo