Re: Problems with libgl1-mesa-dev, libgl and so on

better to use debian-x@

> I have been working with the coin3 [2] package and I found yesterday some
> curious situation. I built the package in my pbuilder without
> any problem. Then I have tested the ci so:
>
> - at Jan 8, 2020 3:08 PM I have pushed to salsa and the ci was activated
> building the sources but failing _only_ reprotest. [3]
> - at Jan 8, 2020 3:08 PM I have pushed a modified version (d/changelog,
> d/watch) and the sources doesn't build.
>
> It seems that some OpenGL test failed, but it was working so I don't
> know which package have entered in unstable in that period that could
> modified that test.
>
> That was that I wrote yesterday to debian-devel, however, today, maybe with
> sunlight and after updating my local mirror and my pbuilder I found the error. I
> thought that it was because CMake deals with OpenGL with GLVND or something, but
> not.
>
> coin(3 o 2) is an old package. It entered by Steve M. Robbins <smr@debian.org>
> in 5 Apr 2003. Since some time ago it's maintained by Debian-science and I one
> of the maintainers that take care of it.
>
> As far I can remember we have never changed the OpenGL build dependency stuff.
> We relay on the libgl1-mesa-dev and last year I added freeglut3-dev. However,
> all began to fail yesterday. I'm not an expert, neither DD, but in buster we
> have libOpenGL.so in libglvnd-dev and in sid it's in libopengl-dev. IMHO it's
> not a good idea this kind of changes, at least without a transition, or some
> kind of warning. But I have to admit that maybe I didn't notice if someone did it.

Looks like libglvnd-dev should indeed depend on libopengl-dev, and it
does now in git.

> I know that you modified libgl1-mesa-dev as transitional dummy package but, just
> curiosity, did you check all the packages that depends on that package in build
> depends? Because I'm afraid that maybe many of them will fail in a rebuild.

No I didn't, there have been some failures but things are more or less
fine now.

> In coin3, changing libgl1-mesa-dev by libgl-dev + libopengl-dev + libglew-dev
> the package is built. But libcoin-dev depends on (libgl1-mesa-dev | libgl-dev)
> and I'm not sure if it's the better option.
>
> Anyway, please, could you recommend me which are the more appropriate
> dependencies in my case for the coin3 package or any package that use OpenGL in
> Debian?

drop libgl1-mesa-dev from it, since it's transitional and libgl-dev
ships gl.pc now.