Fw: FreebSD12 xorg with -AMDGPU- RADEON

Graphics and the FreeBSD system were not working for me quite properly yet,
also it seemed first DRI3 works OK, it does not in the mid-term, but it will
produce some kernel-panics from the irect-rendering-manager, so in fact you
have to revert the DRI-default to DRI2 by saying you don't have use for DRI3
(yet).
There were also som IRQ-18 throttling faults, probably dur to overheating,
so some measure were taken:

* integrated graphics disabled in the BIOS instead of 'auto' setting
* unused sound-card removed from the system
* DRI3 disabled in xorg.conf
* more airflow created by opening up some more expansion slots at the bottom
  of the case

Final conclusion

The FreeBSD desktop is not recommended for beginners, since graphics provide
too many complications. Only try this if you have some good experience in
xorg configuration for different hardware setups from Linux, otherwise you
will soon be frustrated und be giving up.
One last word on the x11-graphics mailing list: this is not even publishing my
posts anymore, only the almighty god of nuclear power knows, whether they
have been DDoS'ed, whether there are no screenshots allowed to be sent to
the list, or why my posts are just dropped silently by now, bad
communication is generally sad. The message-size limit of 200 KB can also be
problematic, if you are not used to it.

While GNOME desktop always continued to issue, it was running on llvmpipe,

Hugin was not properly workable without DRI2 on aruba processor graphics.

Now, with the passively cooled CAICOS card from the other PC ( which has

a newer amdgpu-APU and more RAM, too, will probably profit mor from a

software-upgrade with newer driver ), there is also DRI3 support enabled

and Hugin does work properly, and there is one GB of dedicated

graphics-memory added, seems my problem is solved.

GNOME3 desktop seems OK now, but with one screen only, this means the second

screen may not even be connected even if it is not powered on, because you

will not have proper graphics-output on the digital screen otherwise, either

with some distortions and pixel-mud or no graphics output at all, upon

logging out again from the desktop-session for instance.

So in comparison with Debian there is some lack of flexibility on FreeBSD,

and it is easy to tell, that Linux is generally more suitable for mobile

devices like laptops and more beginner-friendly.

Begin forwarded message: