Re: Offering help :)

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 09:39:02PM +0000, Micael Vinhas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I want to know how can I (or if can I) help to maintain the mesa packages
> for Debian.
>

> Best regards,
>
> MVinhas

Sure, that would be awesome!

First if you haven't already subscribed to our mailing list, please do
it now [1].

What hardware do you have available for testing mesa? As you might
know mesa has several drivers for various hardware. We can't reproduce
most of the bugs in the BTS because we don't have the same hardware or
use the same drivers. So we certainly could use more testing and
reproducing bugs from the BTS. Other than that all we can do is
encouraging bug reporters to forward their bugs to upstream.

Are you familiar with the Debian bug tracking system (BTS) [2] [3]?
One task is trying to keep up with our list of open bug reports [4].

Other than that the usual maintenance stuff is to keep the packages up
to date e.g. importing new upstream releases and improving the
packaging itself.  There's a very helpful overview for these tasks on
the Debian Package Tracker [5]. Building mesa from source would be a
good start [6].
Are you familiar with Debian packaging [7]?

Another (bigger) task would be to provide a backport of mesa and all
its dependencies for Stretch [8].

Hope this serves as a starting point. Feel free to ask if you have any
further questions.

Thanks,
Andreas

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-x/