Re: Intel Skylake graphics will require non-free firmware

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015 23:08:14 +0200 Francesco Poli wrote:

> Hi,
> I am deeply concerned about the news: it seems that Intel upcoming
> Skylake CPUs will require a non-free binary-only firmware blob in order
> for the integrated graphics to operate [1].
>
> As far as I can tell, Intel graphics is currently the only option for a
> completely DFSG-free graphics stack (DFSG-free Intel drivers, without
> any required non-free firmware to be loaded). Intel's move looks like a
> major regression for the Free Software community.
>
> Is having Keith Packard away from Intel [2] *so* bad for us all?
> ("Intel not employing Keith Packard considered harmful"?)
>

> What can be done, before it's too late?
>

> [1] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Intel-SKL-BXT-Firmware-Blobs
> [2] http://keithp.com/blogs/Back_to_HP/
>

> P.S.: Please Cc me on replies, as I am not subscribed to debian-x.
>       Thanks!

Other news about the Skylake non-free firmware blobs:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=GNU-Linux-Libre-4.2

Am I the only one to be concerned about this?

Is anyone in contact with Intel decision makers, trying to persuade
them to release the firmware with source under DFSG-free terms?

Is there anything else that can be done?

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!