Re: GL/gl.h, Qt5 and arm: FTBFS

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 15:10:25 -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:

> Hi! I'm trying to find a solution for the FTBFS of qantenna on arm* [0][1]
> that fits the best to everyone. This issue seems to be very similar to a older
> thread "including both GL/gl.h and cogl/cogl.h fails on armel and armhf" [2],
> but I failed to see how that was resolved.

As far as I can tell,
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/toonloop/2.2.0-1/0004-fix_arm.patch
should have solved it.

> The FTBFSs are due to conflicting declarations for GLdouble, GLsizeiptr and
> GLintptr.
>
> Basically the problem might boild down to the fact that Qt5 is built using es2
> instead of the "desktop" opengl which, to the best of my knowledge, it's
> standard OpenGL 2.0.
>
> These are the possible solutions I think could be taken:
>
> a) Switch Qt5 to use "desktop" OpenGL on arm*. I have tested this on
> harris.d.o and works OK. As a pro, it means that other apps will not have
> porting issues like this. As a con, it might mean that all the OpenGL stuff
> will be done by software though, am I correct?

Sounds about right.

> b) (supossing it's possible) provide es2 versions of mesa-common-dev, libglu1-
> mesa-dev et al. and build against that on arm*
>
> d) (also supossing it's possible) do not consider the FTBFS not RC (or allow
> it's transition even if it's RC) until a better fix could be done.
>
> Please note that I did not include "porting the app" because, as I understand
> it, there is no es2-enabled GLU available, or at least on Debian.
>
> I'm inclined for option a, but maybe you can provide alternative solutions. As
> a fallback (if it's possible at all) I would take option d, but that might be
> needed for other apps in the no-so-distant future, when we will start to see
> massive porting from Qt4 to Qt5.

I'd very much like to avoid b.  The GLU spec
(http://www.opengl.org/registry/doc/glu1.3.pdf) seems very much tied to
old OpenGL.

I didn't think GLU was still a thing used by any modern toolkit/app,
though, so I'm surprised "you get to choose between GLU and Qt5" is a
problem.

Cheers,
Julien