Working on an upstream Xwrapper replacement.

Hi All,

This is a heads-up that I'm working on a suid wrapper for Xorg as part of
upstream development.

This work is related to:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/XorgWithoutRootRights

The wrapper is intended to allow non kms drivers (ie the nvidia binary
driver and the vesa driver) to keep working, and for systems which
run X without root rights be default it is 100% optionally.

pointed me to the Debian Xwrapper.

I've done a quick analysis of the Debian Xwrapper here:
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2014-March/040885.html

And I've decided to borrow most (but not not all) ideas from it,
combining them with the necessary detection of if root rights
are needed I need for:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/XorgWithoutRootRights

The config-file format should be 100% compatible to what Debian
uses now, I've added a new needs_root_rights config file
directive, which can be used to override the detection if root
rights are necessary.  If Debian changes the default
needs_root_rights value in the wrapper from -1 to 1 (until
Debian switches to running X as non root by default) this should
be a drop in replacement. Note if Debian decides to switch,
please patch the default in the c file, don't go adding a
line for this to the config file, that will bite you later
if you try to move to running X without root rights by default.

Please take a look at the latest version and let me know what you
think:
http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-devel/2014-March/040916.html

I would like the upstream version to be usable for Debian too,
so any feedback is welcome.

Regards,

Hans