Re: [DRAFT] mass-closing bug reports

Hi Eric,

Eric Anholt <eric@anholt.net> writes:
> I like the tone, though we should probably point people at the upstream
> bug reporting location so they go file their bug right away:
>
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ "xorg" product for X and 2D driver bugs.
> http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ "Mesa" product for 3D driver bugs.
> http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ "Drivers" product for kernel driver bugs.
> If you're not sure, "xorg" is probably most general.
>
> Reopen-my-bug instructions for the case of actual debian bugs might be
> useful, too.
Thanks for your feedback.

Here is my updated suggestion:

Hello,

we are closing this bug report as part of an automated mass bug-closing. There are
currently well over 1000 bugs open for debian-x, and the team is not big enough to handle
such a big number of bugs. In 1000 bugs, it is impossible to see the actually relevant
bugs, and nobody can use the Bug Tracking System anymore.

Many of these bugs are caused by driver issues or broken hardware, and it’s better to
report these upstream directly. In the future, such bugs will be closed quickly with a
reference to the upstream bug tracker. The proper upstream bug trackers are:

  • http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ → “xorg” for X and 2D driver bugs
    (use this one if uncertain)
  • http://bugs.freedesktop.org/ → “Mesa” for 3D driver bugs
  • http://bugzilla.kernel.org/ → “Drivers” for kernel driver bugs

In case this bug report in particular is still useful, relevant, reproducible and does
not affect upstream, but only Debian, feel free to re-open it, see
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control#reopen

Thanks for understanding,
The Debian X Strike Force

--