Re: no s3virge driver in Jessie

> I'm trying to install KDE and have noticed that the s3virge driver is missing.
>
> In aptitude I selected the VESA driver for download and I've also downloaded outside aptitude
> the following driver that is used by wheezy
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-s3virge/xserver-xorg-video-s3virge_1.10.4-5_i386.deb
>
> Aptitude will be downloading for another hour or so. When it finishes
> 1)  Is the VESA driver likely to work ?
> 2)  Will I get better performance with the s3virge driver from wheezy ?

Aptitude completed, I rebooted and did get a KDE login screen. Without attempting a KDE login,
I used ctrl-alt-1 to switch to another console, logged in and looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log
This includes the lines
[    43.060] (==) Matched s3virge as autoconfigured driver 0
[    43.060] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 1
[    43.060] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2
[    43.060] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3
showing that the X-server wants the s3virge driver.

I tried dpkg -i xserver-xorg-video-s3virge_1.10.4-5_i386.deb but the package installation failed
as it depends on xorg-video-abi-12 whilst jessie xserver-xorg-core provides xorg-video-abi-14.

I switched back to the KDE login screen and attempted a login. KDE didn't start-up properly; I was
thrown back to the KDE login screen. My guess is that this is not a VESA driver problem but a problem
within KDE.