Re: Question about xserver-xorg-input-evtouch

sam g <sam.grayson.ubuntu@gmail.com> (18/05/2013):
> I noticed that the package xserver-xorg-input-evtouch is in the squeeze
> (oldstable) and sid (unstable), but not in wheezy (stable) or jessie
> (testing). I have 3 questions about this.

No, not in sid:
$ rmadison xserver-xorg-input-evtouch
 xserver-xorg-input-evtouch | 0.8.8-4 | squeeze | amd64, armel, i386, ia64, mips, mipsel, powerpc, sparc

From http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xf86-input-evtouch.html you get:
    This package is neither part of unstable nor experimental. This
    probably means that the package has been removed (or has been
    renamed).

From http://ftp-master.debian.org/removals-2011.txt you get:
    Closed bugs: 612186

aka. http://bugs.debian.org/612186

> 1 Is this package going away? Will it be included in further debian
> releases?

It's gone already.

> 2 If it is going away, what is the recomended way to set up a touch screen
> with debian?

evdev or wacom handle most of them AFAICT.

> 3 If it is not going away, is it safe to install the squeeze version of the
> package?

No, since it depends on squeeze's server.

Mraw,
KiBi.