xserver-xorg-video-radeon issues/questions/help

Debian X Strike Force:

Machine: HP Dv7-4170us Entertainment Laptop with Switchable Radeon
Graphics

Issue 1: When using xserver-xorg-video-radeon with Debian Squeeze or
Wheezy, the GPU(s) get quite hot. The wrist-rest area to the left of the
touchpad gets uncomfortably hot.

Issue 2: When using xserver-xorg-video-radeon with Debian Squeeze or
Wheezy, I have found no way to switch GPUs or control the GPU events.

GPU Info From lspci:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
RS880M [Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series]
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
Manhattan [Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series]
02:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cedar HDMI
Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]

When running this machine with Windows 7, the Catalyst Control Center
allows switching from Radeon HD 5400 while on AC power to Radeon HD 4200
for battery operation (to reduce power consumption). In either mode, the
GPU(s) run cool and the cooling fan runs slow and quiet.

With Debian Squeeze and Wheezy, the GPUs get very hot and the cooling
fan must often run fast to keep the insides from over heating.

>From my research, I learned that support for Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Series was dropped in recent versions of ATI's fglrx Catalyst Control
Center and the suggestion was to stay with using
xserver-xorg-video-radeon. I was led to conclude that earlier versions
of fglrx that may be compatible with my HP laptop are not compatible
with the kernel and certain libraries found in Wheezy.

Question 1: Is there a way to use xserver-xorg-video-radeon on this
machine and cool down the GPUs?

Question 2: Do I have to use fglrx to get the GPUs to switch when the
power source changes and to operate properly and cooly?

Question 3: Is this laptop simply not Debian/GNU Linux compatible (i.e.
can it only be Windows computer)?

Question 4: What are your recommendations for this machine?

Question 5: Can you recommend a different laptop brand or configuration
that would be Debian/GNU Linux compatible?

Without assistance, I will have to abandon using Debian or any Linux
distro on this machine.

Thank you,

--
  William Diehl