Mesa 9 for wheezy-backports?

Is anybody working on packaging / documenting installation of Mesa 9.X on Wheezy?  I want to help out if I can for documenting Mesa 9 in Wheezy.

I noticed this guide: http://x.debian.net/howto/build-mesa.html   Does not seem to work anymore because of new versions of Mesa upstream.. You now need to compile drm as well. Some of the ./configure flags in that guide for mesa don't exist anymore.

I was able to successfully compile drm + mesa 9 (32-bit) in Debian Wheezy (64-bit/multiarch) in order to run Steam (32-bit proprietary binary) software well on Intel Ivy Bridge hardware.

  • Many users of the radeon open source drivers get significant performance gains when running Mesa 9.X.
  • People running Intel graphics on Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge graphics chips need to run Mesa 9.X or they will get severe graphical glitches in Team Fortress 2 and some other very popular Steam games to the point where they aren't playable.

In case anybody is interested, I started using this guide here:
http://x.debian.net/howto/build-mesa.html.  I followed those directions until I started compiling Mesa and it failed because the drm version was too old.

So then I started following this guide here:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Building#Building_libdrm

Which worked great for building a 64-bit mesa on my 64-bit Wheezy, but that wasn't what I needed..  So I got some help from some forums and installed the following build dependencies...

libudev:i386 libxcb-dri2-0-dev:i386 libxcb-glx0-dev:i386 libxdamage-dev:i386 libxfixes-dev:i386 libx11-xcb-dev:i386 libxext-dev:i386 libcairo2-dev:i386 libfontconfig1-dev:i386 pkg-config:i386 libpciaccess-dev:i386 libc6-dev:i386 gcc-multilib g++-multilib gcc:i386 c-compiler:i386

Then changed the compile flags..

export CFLAGS="-m32"
export CXXFLAGS="-m32"
./autogen.sh   \
    --enable-driglx-direct \
    --enable-gles-overlay \
    --enable-gles1 \
    --enable-gles2 \
    --enable-glx-tls \
    --with-driver=dri \
    --with-dri-driverdir=/usr/lib/dri \
    --with-egl-platforms='drm x11' \
    --with-state-trackers=egl,glx,dri,vega \
    --with-dri-drivers=i965 \
    --enable-32-bit \
    --disable-64-bit  \
    --enable-gallium-llvm=disabled \
    --enable-gallium-gbm=disabled \
    --enable-gallium-egl=disabled \
    --with-gallium-drivers= \
    --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu \

After that, I was able to build Mesa 9 (32-bit) for Intel Ivy Bridge graphics, no problem.

Not sure if that's useful to anybody, but I hope that it is.   Running Ivy Bridge graphics, previously Team Fortress 2 (32-bit proprietary binary) would have a big green square from the introduction movie and then go to a black screen with graphical glitches for the menu.. Now the game runs perfectly fine and smooth at 1920x1080 resolution and medium graphics settings with Mesa 9 from git using open source Intel graphics!

Cheers and thanks for your time.

-David Smith