Re: Best practices for OpenGL ES

On Son, 2012-01-15 at 10:39 +0100, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> Am 15.01.2012 03:56, schrieb Paul Wise:
> > On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:09 AM, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> >
> >> Does Mesa 3D GLES work for all graphics cards for which GLX drivers are
> >> available in Debian (i.e. is there a choice that works everywhere)?

For GLES 2 the answer is no, as that API requires shaders, which not all
supported hardware has. (Of course, if the app requires shaders, it
won't work with full OpenGL in that case either)

For GLES 1 I'm not sure, but I suspect not all drivers support it
either.

> > Mesa 3D GLES is just an overlay API for Gallium3D,

That's not true. Non-Gallium drivers can support GLES, and at least some
of them do, e.g. the drivers for Intel chipsets.

> > so it probably where we have mesa using Gallium3D, the API is irrelevant.

That should be more or less true.

> > Probably the GLES API library is less memory/etc overhead though since it
> > supports less stuff?

That could be true in theory, but Mesa shares most of the code for all
GL APIs, so right now there's probably not much difference in practice.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com