Backporting a whole X stack (update)

New update below:

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> (27/06/2011):
> As far as building is concerned, I had to backport those source
> packages:
> | libdrm
> | libxfont
> | x11proto-core
> | x11proto-xext
> | xorg-sgml-doctools
> | xutils-dev

all of them are in backports' NEW queue. Let's hope I got the options
right when preparing/building/uploading them.

> | mesa
> | xorg-server

They needed an upload to unstable to gain Breaks: on the -no-multiarch
virtual packages. Uploaded today with urgency medium. If everything goes
fine, uploading the backported packages to squeeze-backports could
happen next week-end.

> I haven't run-time tested them yet though.

I didn't do that myself, but I pointed some users (hi Holger) to the
packages and they seemed happy.

> As far as libdrm is concerned, see the thread about libdrm vs. plymouth;
> upgrading libdrm and the server at the same time would allow us to
> backport a newer version of the nouveau driver, which would have the net
> effect of working with squeeze-backports' kernel (the version in squeeze
> just works with squeeze's kernel and kernels below 2.6.34-rc1).

plymouth needs to be rebuilt against libdrm to get the right dependency
on libdrm-nouveau*, so I'll need to coordinate a backport or rebuild at
some point.

I haven't decided yet whether I'll be rebuilding all drivers in
squeeze-backports (not doing so looked fine for the backports team;
thanks for the input), but I could do that if I'm bored enough. Whatever
happens on that front, an extra upload of the xorg source package is
needed to get the meta packages right (because of the changes documented
in [1]); hopefully I'll get the RC bug fixed before that.

 1. http://blog.mraw.org/2010/11/10/XServer_1.9/
    “Dependency handling for X packages in Debian”

Mraw,
KiBi.