Re: [Xcb] planning to remove xprint, libxprintutil and related packages

On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 17:18 +0200, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21 2011, Jamey Sharp wrote:
>
> > - In libxcb master, I'd be happy to change configure.ac to default to
> >   not building xprint. I'd personally continue building it because I
> >   build all known extensions, just to check for build regressions, but
> >   there's no reason everybody else needs to.
> >
> > - For Debian, while I can't argue with your point, Julien, that "I don't
> >   see any good reason not to build it," I also don't see any good reason
> >   *to* build it, and I have a lot of sympathy with wanting to "hide that
> >   Xprint ever existed." :-)
>
> If the decision to disable its building by default in XCB is taken, I
> think we should follow XCB decision in the Debian packaging and disable
> (or "not enable") its building.
>
> But for the XCB-side decision, I really don't have enough hindsight to
> have a decent opinion, so I'll leave that up to you. :)

Following up the Xprint removal, I've submitted the request for my
xprint packages to be removed.

I'm happy with whatever decision you think is best for XCB, whether it's
best to keep providing libxcb-xprint0 for compatibility with your
upstream.

> If you really want to hide that Xprint ever existed, maybe that'd be a
> reason to stop building that package, otherwise, I don't see really
> any.

No, no, it's not like that :)  I'm quite proud of the little service
Xprint provided in its time, I don't want to hide it! In fact I made
sure a final version was sleeping soundly in snapshot.debian.org for
anyone in the future who might want to call it up.

So leave libxcb-xprint0 in if you prefer!  I just wanted to make sure
you knew that the xprint server is going to be gone.

Regards,
Drew