Re: glibc: causes segfault in Xorg

clone 625521 -1
reassign -1 xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.1.14.1-1
# documentation
severity -1 minor
retitle -1 xserver-xorg-video-ati: package description does not mention it is needed for autoconfiguration
tags -1 + patch
quit

Hi Steve,

Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> I did try to downgrade, but I'm not sure I succeeded.  Do you want me
> to try again?

Sorry for a slow response.  I imagine the fbdev X driver maintainers
will be better able to say what information is useful.  I was
originally curious about whether there was a glibc regression involved
(since it bears on what to do for 2.14.x) but it seems this is not the
best example for thinking about that anyway.

Anyway, if you want to test the glibc aspect, the new
/usr/lib/libc/memcpy-syslog-preload.so might be a convenient way (see
libc6 2.13-4's NEWS.Debian.gz).

The other loose thread I'm curious about is what triggered the bug in
the first place.  Maybe xserver-xorg-video-ati was only uninstalled
recently?  (/var/log/dpkg.log would say.)  If the crashes started
after an upgrade of xserver-xorg-video-fbdev or something like that,
that information might be useful to the fbdev maintainers.

> I appreciate the added package documentation.

Thanks.  A while ago I removed the -ati driver and was confusedly
puzzling over the package description when I learned an xorg.conf was
needed.  Should have fixed it then. :)  Cloning the bug as a reminder.