Re: x11-apps: Changes to 'debian-unstable'

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 16:53:43 +0200, Julien Viard de Galbert wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:32:28AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > Please don't include generated files in quilt patches.  Either patch
> > directly or run the scripts on package build.
> >

> To be sure I got it right:
>  Choice 1: I apply that patch directly to the git repos and that's it.
>  Choice 2: The patch should not change the configure but the package
>            should use autoreconf (or similar tool) to regenerate the
>            configure file.

Pretty much.  The third (and probably best) option is to get the patch
applied upstream and in a new tarball and update the package to that.

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:33:11AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 11:05:59 +0000, Julien Viard de Galbert wrote:
> >
> > >  debian/control                   |    5 ++-
> > >  debian/patches/oclock-ftbfs.diff |   57 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > >  debian/patches/series            |    1
> > >  3 files changed, 61 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)
> > >
> > Also this is missing patch description and debian/changelog entries.
>
> Looks like I've been a little too quick in pushing those changes...
> I forgot the patch description, I will fix that.

Thanks.

> About the debian/changelog I remeber having trouble with it about how to
> name the next version... this package appears to be a native one, and
> I'm not used to it.
> Changing the version means uploading the full tarball while just the
> packaging changed, but native does not allow that if I understood
> correctly. So I didn't really know what to do.

Yup, the app bundles are native packages since they're not just one
upstream tarball but a bunch of different ones with different versions.
So the debian package version is basically
$current_xorg_katamari_version + $debian_revision, as an approximation
of something sort of meaningful.  The katamari version (7.x) changes
roughly once a year, the debian revision whenever the bundle gets
updated.

Cheers,
Julien