Re: [SRM] Approval for xorg-server/2:1.7.7-13

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 19:50:52 +0000, Adam D. Barratt wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 14:32 +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> > | xorg-server (2:1.7.7-13) stable; urgency=low
> > |
> > |   * bug script: Report KMS configuration files and their contents.
> > |   * bug script: Keep only one lspci call (with proper filtering), which
> > |     makes PCI IDs come back.
> > |   * Merge from server-1.7-branch, fixing broken rotation with nvidia
> > |     driver (Closes: #611619):
> > |     - Revert "randr: check for virtual size limits before set crtc"
>
> What are the potential side-effects of removing the check; i.e. what
> issue was it introduced to guard against in the first place?

The check was introduced in 2:1.7.7-11 in January, removing it gets us
back to the state from earlier versions.  Besides allowing rotations
again in some cases, I suppose it would lead to the driver refusing (or
failing?) to reallocate the framebuffer further down the stack, but have
no easy way to test (with kms the fb can be reallocated at runtime so
the max is something like 4kx4k or 8kx8k anyway).

Cheers,
Julien