Re: lintian's breaks-without-version and virtual packages

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:

> Drivers are dlopen()ed by the X server, and the ABI changes with pretty
> much every new server version, so we had the drivers Provide the ABI
> they were built for, and the server Conflict with old ABI virtual
> packages.  There's no filesystem conflict, so AIUI Breaks is preferred
> in that case.

Ah, after reading Policy some more, I think I understand why that's the
case.

We should allow Breaks without a version on anything that's a virtual
package or metapackage.  Hm, although that won't completely resolve your
problem since a bunch of the virtual packages that you'd want to break
aren't otherwise mentioned in the archive (for understandable reasons) and
hence Lintian doesn't know about them.  I suppose we should just keep a
manually-maintained list.