Re: nmu: xserver-xorg-video-nouveau_1:0.0.16+git20100825+390f1c8-2

On 2010-12-06 08:42 +0100, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>>        One reason to use the experimental version of nouveau is that you
>> want or need a newer kernel than in squeeze, and this does not
>> necessarily mean that you want a newer X server as well.
>
> Oh, yikes.  To the best of your knowledge, are this kind of in-kernel
> ABI breakages going to be avoided in the future (over timespans that
> matter to Debian, i.e., one or two years)?

I hope so, but as long as nouveau is in staging there are no guarantees.
And while the nouveau developers have avoided breaking the kernel drm
ABI since Linux 2.6.34, libdrm-nouveau still changes API and ABI
willy-nilly, of course without ever altering the soname. :-/

> If not, I would like to look into a way to make multiple versions of
> nouveau co-installable, with the version to use chosen at run time
> based on the kernel version. :(

It's hard, because that requires to have multiple versions of
libdrm-nouveau present as well (possibly inventing your own soname), and
if you happen to have the 3D driver installed (package
libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental), the X server might load two versions of
libdrm-nouveau and crash.

Sven

--
I think the real problem was that Fedora and the Neauveu community are
acting incredibly selfishly.  They only care about their narrow point