Re: Ubuntu plans for Natty release

On Thu, 2010-11-11 at 13:06 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Don, 2010-11-11 at 12:26 +1100, Christopher James Halse Rogers
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 09:33 +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > > IMHO any solution which doesn't allow easily choosing between the 3D
> > > drivers during the X server's runtime (when KMS is enabled) isn't
> > > adequate.
> >
> > Certainly not adequate for driver development,
>
> Actually, driver developers probably tend to have their own custom
> setups anyway.
>
> > but is it necessary for end-users?  This would be necessary for
> > allowing per-application overrides, but should we care about this?
>
> Probably not as long as the default 3D driver works (well enough), but
> e.g. for comparing between the 3D drivers it would be much more
> convenient and save nerves and time, also for bug triagers.
>

> > Can you see an easy solution which allows changes during X's runtime and
> > will handle UMS transparently?
>
> One possibility would be an r[36]00_dri.so wrapper which can pass
> through to the classic or Gallium drivers based on KMS vs. UMS and
> configuration via environment variables and/or configuration files. This
> might be appropriate for upstream as well.

That sounds an awful lot like work :).

Also, my understanding was that UMS / classic mesa would not be
particularly supported upstream.  If you'd welcome such a patch, maybe
that work is justified.

I was only expecting to carry this dual-stack UMS/KMS hack for one
release, maybe two, and then not caring at all about UMS after that.

> However, given that switching to UMS will require some kind of tweaking
> anyway, I'm not sure why the script / procedure for that couldn't just
> include appropriate update-alternatives calls.

The trick is getting all the users to see the same documentation :).