Screen flashes on and off on boot after fresh installation of squeeze.

Package: debian-installer
Severity: critical
Justification: breaks the whole system

After installing debian squeeze when starting the gui the monitor turns on and off with white streaks when it is on.  I made no changes to the configuration.  I'm reporting this bug from Lenny because I could not use my system with squeeze, it was completely unresponsive.

-- System Information:
I was using Debian Squeeze released on 7-15-10 for X86.  I have an ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP 8X with 512MB RAM using an ASUS P4T motherboard.