Re: Autoconfiguring third-party Xorg drivers

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 04:16:49 +0200, Andreas Beckmann wrote:

> please reenable the PCI_TXT_IDS_DIR feature of Xorg. Even if it is not
> used by Xorg itself, it would simplify automatic configuration of third
> party drivers (the non-free nvidia driver in this case). Xorg does not
> (and needs not to) know details about the existence of these drivers as
> long as finding a matching PCI ID redirects it to the correct driver,
> Currently an xorg.conf has to be created by the user because
> autoconfiguration does not use the proprietary driver.

I'm not going to enable that code for the sole use of the binary
drivers.

> Or is there another solution to plug some driver into Xorg without
> creating an xorg.conf?

One option is to patch the server with stuff like:
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/xserver/xorg-server.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/104_nvidia_autodetect.patch;hb=refs/heads/ubuntu
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-xorg/xserver/xorg-server.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/105_fglrx_autodetect.patch;hb=refs/heads/ubuntu

Another is to extend the configuration stuff to be able to handle output
device configuration similarly to the InputClass sections introduced
this year for input.

Cheers,
Julien