Re: [RFC] removing xserver-xorg-video-nv from squeeze

On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 14:33:15 -0400 (EDT), Julien Cristau wrote:

> We're considering the removal of xserver-xorg-video-nv (the "free" X
> driver for nvidia hardware) from sid and squeeze.

I'm replying to both debian-x and debian-devel, but I am only
subscribed to debian-devel.  If you post only to debian-x, please CC me.

If nouveau set KMS by default, as the intel driver does, but did not
*require* KMS, I would agree.  But the last time I checked, using the nouveau
driver *forces* KMS.  I don't like that.  I still use, and prefer, hardware
text mode virtual consoles (1-6).  Because of that, I still use nv.  That's
the *only* reason that I still use nv.  There is no bug number here because
I'm sure that upstream would consider this a feature and not a bug.  In other
words, they would consider operation of the driver with KMS off an enhancement
request.

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :