xorg black screen and pointer only

After attempting to upgrade from stable (lenny) to testing (squeeze) recently, X broke.

When I start X (startx, xinit) all I get is a black background with the default X cursor. I can move the cursor around, but nothing else happens. I don't get the default X background pattern (the one that makes one's eyes go sore) and get no reaction from CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. I can however switch back to a console and kill Xorg.

In my .xinitrc I only start a basic xterm.

Trying to run a display manager (xdm, kdm) results in the same.

At first glance, Xorg.log doesn't show anything of particular interest, neither does my syslog. However, in the same prompt from where I startx, I get the following error:

"xinit: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libX11.so.6: undefined symbol: xcb_take_socket"

There appears to have been a bug where upgrading to a newer kernel version solved the problem, but I am neither experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned in the bug description, neither did upgrading my kernel to a custom-built 2.6.33.3 do any good, therefore this seems to be a different issue.

Any advise on getting X running again?