Re: lintian's breaks-without-version and virtual packages

On Tue, May  4, 2010 at 11:04:20 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I was considering moving xserver-xorg-core's Conflicts to Breaks, but
> > that seems to introduce new lintian warnings about
> > 'breaks-without-version'.
>
> What's the motivation here?  I thought Conflicts was more correct in the
> case where there isn't a problem with some specific version of a package
> but rather a basic incompatibility between two packages.
>
> Hm, is it that the versioned ABI metapackages represent specific versions
> of other packages and you get better upgrade handling this way?  (Is that
> measured or theoretical?  There's a long Policy thread on this topic, and
> the question seems to be strongly debated.)

Drivers are dlopen()ed by the X server, and the ABI changes with pretty
much every new server version, so we had the drivers Provide the ABI
they were built for, and the server Conflict with old ABI virtual
packages.  There's no filesystem conflict, so AIUI Breaks is preferred
in that case.
We're trying to move to a scheme where the X server Provides a virtual
ABI package instead, and the drivers depend on that; we won't need
Conflicts/Breaks then.  But for now I still need to prevent
co-installation of incompatible old driver and new server...

Cheers,
Julien