Re: nouveau testing

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-04-02 09:44 +0200, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan wrote:
>
>> I am running the nouveau driver now for the past couple of hours. I
>> can say that it works for a regular use. I tried glxinfo but it
>> segfaulted. The output is shown below.
>>
>> $ glxinfo
>> name of display: :0.0
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
>> Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
>
> You need to uninstall the nvidia-glx package and any of its legacy
> cousins to be able to test GLX.  If you had used Nvidia's installer
> instead, you will need to run its uninstall script and reinstall the
> libgl1-mesa-glx package.
>
> Note that nouveau does not support 3D currently, so OpenGL applications
> will run very slowly and often be completely unusable.

Thanks Sven.

I haven't found any other trouble so far. On monday I will try
connecting it to an external monitor (I went to non-free nVidia
drivers because of this) and also possibly for a presentation to a
bigger LCD screen through a VGA connector sometime next week and will
report back any issues.

Ramakrishnan