Frans Pop <firstname.lastname@example.org> (08/02/2010): > I have given your image (it used console-setup) a quick try earlier > today and was very impressed. I noticed a few minor issues , but > in general it worked perfectly. I'm glad it doesn't only work at home. :) I've managed to resurrect an old box, and I rebuilt all packages for i386. To this effect, I've put up a reprepro-based repository to store both source packages and i386 binaries (both .debs and .udebs), in case somebody wants to build an own image; that's probably a more convenient way of getting the sources as well. You can find the pool at: http://people.debian.org/~kibi/udebs-v1/ (Which should be signed with my key, although I've only performed localudebs-based image builds.) Some packages got a quick and dirty version bumps due to: 1. the fact I'm building against sid (I wanted to use the latest source packages, instead of starting by lagging behind using testing's). 2. the fact that some packages got uploaded (namely: vte, xrandr) to sid in the meanwhile so changelogs and versions might not exactly match the ones one would get from applying the patches I mentioned previously. In order to rebuild everything, I've used the following order (there are 33 of them, although some like libdrm are no longer needed): libfontenc libxfont libgpg-error libgcrypt11 libpciaccess libxau libxdmcp libxcb libx11 libxext libxfixes libxrender libdrm udev xorg-server xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xft libxinerama libxi libxrandr libxcursor libxcomposite libxdamage libxkbfile x11-xkb-utils xkeyboard-config cairo pango1.0 gtk+2.0 gtk2-engines dmz-cursor-theme vte so if you want to rebuild them for another architecture, a bit of shell scripting, reprepro and sbuild are your friends. I didn't go as far as setting buildd/wanna-build, but you may want to do so. :) As for the resulting image, it seems to work like a charm on my Athlon XP1800+ box/256MB RAM box. I've booted it through PXE (using dnsmasq's embedded TFTP server, with its default /srv/tftp pointing to dest/netboot/gtk). I only got lost during the manual partionning in Tamil, so I got back to selecting another language before going on. :) I think my next moves are going to be: - Tweaking lowmem case for X (should be easy once I've figured out how this and that components in d-i work) - Fixing the build of the fbdev driver to get 2 proper flavours (should be easy), and maybe having a look at the HACK/TODO bits I've left along the path in the various git branches/standalone patches. - Trying to integrate console-setup properly this time, so that once one has set it up once in d-i, preferences can be fed directly into the installed system, so that one doesn't need to answer the very same questions again. Even though console-setup might chosen in the end (although it looks like the way to go to tweak X), that's going to be a good exercise for me. :) Mraw, KiBi.
Description: Digital signature