Re: uploading xserver-xorg-input-synaptics [was Re: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: Changes to 'upstream']

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:04:49AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:08:43 +0900, Mattia Dongili wrote:
>
> > Later tonight (JST), if nobody objects, I'd like to upload a new
> > xserver-xorg-input-synaptics based on the current upstream code of the
> > 1.1 branch.
>
> Sounds good!

Excellent, let's figure out a good wording for the NEWS file and I'll
upload it.

> > xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (1.1.1~git20090510-1) unreleased; urgency=low
> >
> >   [ David Nusinow ]
> >   * Add NEWS.Debian entry about enabling tapping again (closes: #497523)
>
> I think it'd be nice if the NEWS entry explained how to do this with
> synclient rather than xorg.conf / hal.

The disadvantage with synclient is that the configuration is not
persistent.

> The xorg.conf way probably needs things like a ServerLayout section, and
> I'm not sure how well it'll keep working.  And fdi is not quite a nice
> config file format.  Or we could point at gpointing-device-settings,
> since that has been accepted in the archive now.

How about showing the synclient command line and pointing at the
existing documentation for how to configure hal/xorg.conf?
Something along the lines of:

  * Tapping has been disabled by default on many touchpads by upstream.
    If you want to re-enable it, you can do so from within the X
    environment by running the following commands in a terminal:

	$ synclient TapButton1=1
	$ synclient TapButton2=2
	$ synclient TapButton3=3

    Note that the configuration will not be permanently modified, to do
    so please read the documentation about how to set up your xorg.conf
    file in the synaptics(4) manpage or in
    /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.
    Another alternative is to use desktop environment specific tools
    like gpointing-device-settings or touchfreeze.

Thoughts?

I'd even go one step further and start Suggest-ing those 2 packages in
this upload.

PS: I just took a minute to re-read the docs provided in the package and
actually I have to say that there is really no need to provide another
fdi example, README.Debian points to
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/20thirdparty/11-x11-synaptics.fdi which
already contains plenty of examples (might add the TapButton* options
eventually).
--
mattia
:wq!