Re: Getting the Nouveau driver in Lenny and a half

Le lundi 23 mars 2009 à 12:24 +0100, Michel Dänzer a écrit :
> On Sam, 2009-03-21 at 00:52 +0100, Henry-Nicolas Tourneur wrote:
> > > No, EXA has been backwards compatible since before xserver 1.1, so the
> > > drivers should continue working without a rebuild (and also with one).

> > > It shouldn't be too hard.
> > >

> > That's great news, so we have several possible solutions (which is
> > good) :
> >
> > 1° Easier but not safer : update the whole Xorg
> > 2° Adapt the nouveau code to be retro-compatible
> > 3° Backport the new EXA interface into Xorg
> > 4° Ship extra EXA bits along with xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
> >
> > What can be done regarding the Debian policies ? I guess the first
> > solution won't made it but for the rest...
> >
> > Michel, are you interested in working on it ?
>
> I can provide EXA related advice/guidance, but no more.

That's already a very good start. Myself, I'm not an Xorg expert but I
have knowledge with C and OpenGL programming (so very, very, basic
regarding the task, I guess). But I have some time, would like to try
and so on...

Now the big question would be : which of the 4 above propositions could
be acceptable for Debian ? (in order to start working at the right
place).

Thank you,

Henry-Nicolas.