Bug#544646: console-setup: ~/.XCompose file ignored
I'm not sure what I did exactly, as scim seems to sporadically behave very strangely under StumpWM, but they started working... in emacs, but not Conkeror.
Maybe I'll be able get things working in other applications, but this alone simplifies my life greatly.
The little tips may not have been exactly the problem; because I didn't give all the relevant info. However, they did make me realise that, and in searching for all the relevant info I found something that kinda works.(heck, I can't use scim with emacs 1/3+ of the time. anthy-el to the rescue).
Me vs the world: tie.