Driver "intel" refuses _not_ to load DRI as of 7.3+20

Hi,

I have a HP tc4400 Laptop which sports the 945GM Chipset. Have a Dual Monitor Setup, Laptops Screen is 1024x768, TFT is 1280x1024. This obviously needs a virtual screen of 2304x1024+ size. With DRI enabled, the Intel driver supports only 2048x2048 Screen Size. up to 7.3+19, everything worked well with the following lines:
|Section "Screen"
   Identifier   "Screen 0"
   Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth 24
        Virtual 4000 2000
    EndSubSection
EndSection|
However with the last dist-upgrade 8.4 came, and since then, placing the two screens side-by-sideis impossible due to DRI _always_ being loaded. I added the following to xorg.conf:

|Section "Device"
   Identifier   "Configured Video Device"
        Option      "DRI" "off"
EndSection|
which according to man intel should turn dri off. xrandr still returns an error about maximum screen size 2048x2048. as xorg.0.log shows DRI is loaded, so I guess that it is enabled to.

So what can be done about solving the issue? You guys have any hints? You think this is a bug, and should be reported?

Thx in Advance, Arian