Lenny Missing glx module

Please excuse me, I can't find anywhere else to ask this question and
the folks on debian-user have had no answers.

I've been having problems with my ati graphics, and tried the
proprietary drivers from AMD without success. However, when I went
back to the pre-compiled drivers available in Lenny, video sucked
even worse.

It seems in my attempt to take out the precompiled drivers to try the
ones from AMD, and then back, the "glx" module was lost:

/var/log/Xorg.o.log:
(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
(II) UnloadModule: "glx"
(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)

Here are a couple of package searches that seemed appropriate, to see
if anything was obviously missing:

# dpkg -l | grep glx
ii  fglrx-glx       1:8-12-4 proprietary libGL for the non-free
AMD/ATI r
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx 7.0.3-7  A free implementation of the OpenGL
API -- G

# dpkg -l | grep mesa
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri 7.0.3-7 A free implementation of the OpenGL API --
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx 7.0.3-7 A free implementation of the OpenGL API --
ii  libglu1-mesa    7.0.3-7 The OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  mesa-utils      7.0.3-7 Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities

The various mesa utilities all report "extension "GLX" missing on
display ":0.0"" which is kind of obvious. But they worked the first
time I installed the non-free fglrx drivers.

I've looked for "missing dependencies" and found nothing obviously
missing, and apt would (I expect) have pointed out a gross error, so
the missing glx driver package isn't obvious.

Or at least not obvious to me.

Any suggestions as to packages I should have that I can verify?

Curt-

- --
The Magistrate, enrobed in taxes, condemns the thief in stolen rags.