Re: preference in xorg.conf ?

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:27:23PM +0000, Adam Spragg wrote:
> Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > Short of adding a "Driver nvidia" line in my xorg.conf, how can I get
> > the xserver to use that driver in preference to "nv"?
>
> I hope this isn't too intrusive, but the very nature of your question has
> itself sparked my curiosity.
>
> Why would you want to be able to configure X to act in a certain way (use
> nvidia instead of nv) without using X's existing configuration mechanism
> (xorg.conf). Is there something wrong with xorg.conf? Is there some other
> problem you're trying to solve/avoid?
>
> Did you have any idea as to the kind of method you thought might exist?
> Something involving dpkg-divert, the "alternatives" system, of some other
> symlink-fu maybe?

I noticed debian's auto-generated xorg.conf no longer contains (or
needs) a "Driver" line for the video card. So I simply want to avoid
hard-coding any specific driver to let the automatic selection mechanism
do its thing.

I might want to  use "nv" in certain situation when "nvidia" is not
available (trying new kernel for which nvidia-kernel-source doesn't
compile).

--
http://www.critikart.net