Xorg and GB18030 support

I’m currently using Ubuntu 7.10.  My investigation seems to suggest that the XOrg by default does not support GB18030 locale in the Xlib.  We have an application that relies on Xlib support for rendering Chinese text in this locale. Is anyone aware of this issue? And if so is there any plan on supporting GB18030 locale in Xlib module for Xorg?  There seems to be a fix for this that was created by James Su sometime back for XFree86. I would appreciate it if anyone has knowledge on this issue.

Thanks,

Ashish

Kinesix Software