Re: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: Changes to 'debian-experimental'

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 05:43:30PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 00:33:58 +0900, Mattia Dongili wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 04:18:56PM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > > Hi Mattia, thanks for updating the synaptics package!
> > >
> > > A few things I had in mind about this:
> > > - we might want to reapply e6595886d7ae3a1730cd0d9f86fd0f305c0743c2
> > >   (Matthew Garrett's patch to detect the device resolution) which has
> > >   been reverted upstream due to being GPL
> >
> > aaah I misread this patch title and thought it was the "don't grab on if
> > not on current VT" which I kept and which is obviously completely
> > different :P. Sure, 1730cd0d9f86fd0f305c0743c2 is worth including.
> > Shall we keep it as a separate patch or just apply it directly on the
> > debian-* branches? (I'd go for the separate patch)
> >
> I'd go for separate patch as well.

good news, it looks like it has been reimplemented upstream already:

commit f04b27861983212bb6b216c589aa7b0b24256f63
Author: Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer@who-t.net>
Date:   Wed Aug 6 15:57:12 2008 +0930

    Use axis ranges reported by the hardware, if possible.

    The evdev kernel module provides the ability to query the axis ranges from
    the device. If they are given, use those as defaults instead of the hardcoded
    ones. User-specified ranges overrule any ranges reported.

> > Also the lenny version may require one more upload with the appletouch
> > addon to the fdi file.
> >
> Agreed.  I was waiting for the current version to age a bit before
> asking for an unblock, but it may make sense to include the appletouch
> addon right now, and only then ask for a transition to lenny.

the experimental package is ready. I'm editing the current unstable
package to add the appletouch bits to the fdi file and was wondering if
we should use the upstream file or the one suggested by Timo which
additionally sets
<merge key="input.x11_options.HorizEdgeScroll" type="string">0</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">0</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">1</merge>

The additional settings make sense for mac users (afaict... no apples
here).
Other than that also the unstable package is ready.

I have no time to upload it tonight though, I'll try to do it tomorrow.
--
mattia
:wq!