Re: For Those Who Care About X (Bits from the X Strike Force)

Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 19:34:07 -0400, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
>

>> I've never worked with a Debian project before, but I've got a knowledge
>> of C and have been inside some small parts of X code before and run a
>> Debian-based distro of some kind on all the desktops, laptops, and
>> servers that I use or manage.  I would be willing to help out wherever
>> there is a need and I'm able.  Just let me know.
>>

> Thanks for your interest.  Finding a bug (for example starting from
> http://bugs.debian.org/debian-x@lists.debian.org, or something that
> affects you) in an area you're interested in, and tracking it down or
> requesting more information from the submitter if needed, or forwarding
> the bug upstream, would probably be a good starting point.

And if you want to learn a bit before jumping in, you should obviously
subscribe to debian-x@ and read what's happening (but things are calm
these days thanks to bug reporters being in vacation).

If you want to follow upstream's work, you can look at:
* xorg@lists.freedesktop.org for general discussion
* xorg-commit@lists.freedesktop.org for most commits
* xorg-team@lists.x.org for upstream bugs
There are also some specific lists such as mesa*, xorg-driver-ati,
intel-gfx, ...

Also, it might be interesting to know what hardware you own. We mostly
have some intel and ati boards on x86 architectures. It's always nice to
have somebody who can test some non-trivial driver or architecture
instead of blindly uploading :)

Brice