Re: Using console-setup's keyboard setup for HAL and xorg input-hotplug

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Colin Watson wrote:

On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 12:36:33PM +0300, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
On Fri, 1 Aug 2008, Julien Cristau wrote:
On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 13:46:07 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
Colin and I had a discussion yesterday regarding the idea of reusing the
console-setup keyboard settings with the xorg keyboard input-hotplug
stuff in HAL.  The idea is that this script would be run from
xorg-server.postinst.

AIUI these settings could be useful for something other than
xorg-server (at least in theory), wouldn't it make sense to run this in
hal.postinst instead?

Discussed this briefly with Martin Pitt, who is the HAL maintainer in
Ubuntu. The postinst is somewhat problematic, because it would mean
reconfiguring the package whenever the settings have been changed. So, he
proposed to run it in the hal initscript. Hacky, but would fix that issue.

I don't think there's any need to force console and X keyboard
configuration to be in sync. They have been separate since the dawn of
time, with X's configuration simply being initialised from the console
configuration performed in the installer and then left to go its own
way.

I think it would be fine to continue this tradition (arguably imperfect
though it is) and just copy over console configuration from
/etc/default/console-setup to HAL once when the hal package is
configured.

Actually, as Bryce mentioned, it's already deployed in a way as we discussed in December. HAL ships 10-x11-keymap.fdi which calls a script (debian-setup-keyboard) that uses hal-set-property to set the values when starting HAL. Fedora had a patch for h-s-p which made it work, finally..