Re: Ubuntu X feature work for Intrepid

Bryce Harrington wrote:
> xorg-ctrl-alt-backspace
> -----------------------
> We've had bunches of requests for users to turn off this shortcut key,
> however it's quite useful to developers.  A compromise has been to
> require holding it down for a short period of time (and/or hitting in
> quick succession).  We're tentatively planning on trying this out,
> although I'm not 100% how to best implement it.  I assume this wouldn't
> be of interest for Debian; let me know otherwise.

I heard a couple users complain the same, so I think it would be good to
have a way to switch to this behavior for these users. But of course
some people will complain if we make it the default :)

After a quick look at the code, I guess I would do:
in xf86CommonSpecialKey(), case KEY_BackSpace, when down is set, store
GetTimeInMillis() in a static value. If down isn't set, check that a
time value has been stored, compare it to GetTimeInMillis() and call
xf86ProcessActionEvent() if the timeout expired, then reset the stored
value.
No idea how all this is protected by locks or whatever, I have
zero-knowledge about input event processing :)

> xorg-options-editor
> -------------------
> In Hardy we implemented an early version of the new xrandr-enabled
> Screen Resolution tool.  While it was generally well received, it lacks
> a lot of advanced functionality.

My feeling about RandR-GUI is that many people want to write a new one
from scratch but nobody completes it or even maintains it in the end. I
have been very disappointed by grandr (segfaults...) and urandr
(upstream already dead?). I'd really like to have a good one. I don't
really care about modify driver/server options, but RandR 1.2 really
needs a good GUI for all our users.

> One of our community members is
> creating a simple python GUI applet for turning on driver and server
> options, to launch from an "Advanced..." button on the Screen Resolution
> tool.
>
> Probably easiest to explain through a screenshot:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/OptionsEditor?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xorgconfig-07-07-2008.png
>
> Much work is going into the backend python code for reading/writing
> xorg.conf's (termed "X-Kit"), and we're looking into standardizing use
> of it in other tools (EnvyNG, Jockey, etc.) that need to make
> modifications to xorg.conf.

What kind of xorg.conf modification does these tools need?

I wonder how all this would interact with the Debian installer which
currently tries to setup an almost empty xorg.conf. Modifying an almost
empty xorg.conf requires a very good knowledge of the server default
behavior if we don't want to break 10 things when adding a section to
add a single option.

I wonder if it would be easier to bypass xorg.conf completely and make
the server query some external database at startup like input-hotplug
does for device configuration.

Brice