Re: non-MIT files in xf86-video-nv

Julien Cristau wrote:
On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 10:33:16 +0000, Joerg Jaspert wrote:

 > Hi Maintainer,
 >
 > rejected, there is a license issue to clarify before this can enter
 > main. The files nv_cursor.c, nv_setup.c, nv_local.h, nv_hw.c, nv_exa.c,
 > nv_dac.c and nv_dac.c contain a license header that
 > is not DFSG free (only allows use, but no redistribution, modification,
 > etc). Probably just an oversight on upstreams (well, nvidias) side, but
 > still nothing we can ship.

The same seems to apply to the xserver-xorg-video-nv package, which is
where these files come from.

Aaron, do you know if it would be possible to get them relicensed under
a more MIT-like license, rather than the current more restrictive one?
The COPYING file for xf86-video-nv doesn't actually carry the license
from e.g. src/nv_setup.c.

Hi Julien,

I'm pretty sure "license to use this code in individual and commercial software" was intended to include redistribution and modification. That said, the point is moot because I just replaced all of these with the stock MIT X11 boilerplate from the COPYING file. See commit 2fdcda8.

-- Aaron