overwrite over upgrades on unstable package

Hello,

 I run Debian unstable and I also happen to own a "Logitech Elite
Keyboard". The howtos that I've found on google showed me that to make
the keys on the upper part of the keyboard to work, I have to modify
three files in /usr/share/x11/xkb -- namely symbols.dir symbols/inet and
rules/base . I don't get all the keys working that way but I can still
manage to use most of them.

Now, my problem is that every time the package xkb-data is upgraded, it
overwrites those three files without verifying if they were modified.
And it is beginning to be annoying to have to restore the files from my
backups, manually each time so that I don't break modifications the
maintainers could have made to them.

So, first, would you know of a way to get my keyboard working for all
users on the computer with a less drastic modification?
And if not, then second, is it possible to make those files be config
files so that it checks for differences when the package gets upgraded?
This way I could be aware that the files are getting changed and I could
check a diff to see if anything is new at all.

Thanks

p.s.: if you need more details on the system, package versions or the
changes I do in the files, I will be glad to provide the information you
need.

--
Gabriel Filion