Re: intel X driver for etch+1/2

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:27:48 +0200, Michael Banck wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 02:21:59AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 15:49:28 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
> > > OK for upload?
> > xserver-xorg-video-intel for etchnhalf is now in NEW.
> >
> > I've added a short paragraph to the 'Limitations' section of
> > http://wiki.debian.org/EtchAndAHalf/ReleaseNotes about the issue with
> > DRI and AIGLX.  Maybe something to the effect of 'if you need 3d accel,
> > you'll have to use the i810 driver if that supports your hardware, or
> > upgrade to lenny' could be added.
>
> Hrm, "the i810 driver" being what exactly?  The old sarge driver?  Some
> other etchnhalf driver?

The driver provided by the xserver-xorg-video-i810 package in etch,
which is used if the Device section in xorg.conf says 'Driver "i810"'.

In lenny and sid, that driver has been completely replaced by the new
"intel" driver, but in etchnhalf it will just come as another option;
you thus need to say 'Driver "intel"' instead in xorg.conf.

> I'm asking because some people in #debian have been trying the etchnhalf
> kernels/graphics drivers and were complaining about lack of DIR/compiz
> etc., so I/we aren't so sure what to tell them.

Right, compiz isn't going to work with xserver-xorg-video-intel in etch.
It might be possible to port the needed changes from RHEL 5.2, but I
won't have any time to do that (and I'm not sure it'd be worth it).

Cheers,
Julien